Okay, okay. I’m not quite sure where the time has gone – it’s been a month since I last posted. With the days getting shorter and the weather getting cooler, it gets harder and harder to take blog photos – and I now have a self-imposed “no screens within an hour of bed time” rule which gives me less time to write posts, and even less time to read them; I have >120 posts on my feedly to catch up on!
I have been able to get some sewing in, though, and consequently I have.. err.. about 10 items that need photographing/blogging. Which is probably good as we’re moving (again!) in three weeks so there’ll be a lot of sewing down-time while my things are packed away.
You may recognise this pattern as being the Colette Moneta. I’ve made this a few times before (one and two, three, four, and five) and love it for being a quick and easy dress to ease me back into sewing when I’ve had a break.
The only thing I’ve done differently with this dress is to omit the bodice lining. Instead, I followed the pattern instructions to simply turn and top-stitch the neckline – and I really dislike this finish! I much prefer a lining or a band like you find on a t-shirt. Another reason why I wish I’d just lined it is that this fabric can be a bit itchy – it’s an odd fabric where the white leopard spots are woven into a plain blue fabric (similar to how you can add a pattern into a knitted jumper), then there’s a thin translucent film of fabric on the underside. I’m not sure how else to explain it, but it’s odd.
The elastic isn’t quite tight enough around the back waistline either (I couldn’t find my clear elastic so had to use lingerie picot elastic) so it doesn’t sit as nicely against my lower back, but I’m okay with that. Particularly as I tend to wear belts over dresses like this anyway.
It’s all constructed on my overlocker, then my regular machine to twin-needle topstitch the hems. These days I’ve been pressing the hems before sewing the pieces up, then using spray adhesive to keep them in place, before sewing up the side seams and top-stitching the hems. It’s so much easier to press an even hem this way, rather than trying to wrangle a sleeve that’s already sewn!
Oh and I did change the pockets – instead of using the ones from the Moneta pattern, I used the pattern piece from the Emery dress. I found that the original pockets tend to stick out a bit and are a bit lower than I like; these ones are caught into the waist seam so stay nicely in place, and are a bit bigger.
I don’t really have anything else to say about the dress! These photos were taken by my friend Hannah, before the wedding of two of our best friends. It was a GORGEOUS wedding, and lots of shenanigans were had (particularly by me and Guy, Hannah and husband Callum).
Pattern: Colette Moneta
Fabric: Polyester knit from The Fabric Warehouse, $24 ($16/m)
Notions: Elastic and thread, from stash
I promise to try to be more interesting next time.