Hi again! Rather than apologise for announcing my triumphant return then waiting, oh, five months to post anything… I’m just going to jump in with posting about a “new” dress.
“New” because I actually made this dress about 2 years ago. I remember finishing the hem by hand for a friend’s wedding (a friend who’s son is turning one in June).
And speaking of birthdays.. these photos were taken yesterday, on E’s first birthday! Holy cow how the time goes. One of my favourite “motto’s” for this last year has been “the days are long but the weeks are short” (the other one is “this too shall pass”) and it’s certainly held true for us.
So, the dress, the dress. The pattern is Simplicity 1880, and is made up in a lovely green linen from The Fabric Store (Wellington, NZ). Honestly since I made it so long ago I have no idea what size I made it, nor what changes I had to make, but I don’t think there were many.
I did use a lapped size zipper (I think the pattern calls for an invisible zip) – regular zips are usually easier to find in a specific colour and I prefer using a lapped zip to an invisible one (although invisible zips are easier to insert), especially over waist seams where invisible zips can get stuck. The insides are merely overlocked and the hems (skirt and sleeves) are finished with bright yellow bias binding. The white buttons are all I had in my stash at the time – it’s so frustrating being so far away from fabric/notions shops.
I really like this pattern. The gathers at the shoulder/yoke and the pleats at the waist and sleeve hems add interest and a slightly vintage flair without being OTT, as well as adding significant wearing ease (without being TOO blousy). The skirt being cut on the bias with a central seam means it sits flat over your bum and belly but has lovely movement. This is a dress I can wear if I want to be dressy but not too dressy.
The details are harder to see in linen, of course, which develops lovely creases as soon as you look at it. I really do love linen – it’s one of my favourite fabrics to sew and wear. I do have another version that’s almost finished in a sateen but it has been “almost finished” for… oh… about 2 years as well (I started it soon after finishing this one then got busy and then pregnant and knew I wouldn’t be able to fit it for ages). I WILL finish it at some stage as it was supposed to be #9 in The Dreamstress “0 degrees of separation” challenge.
So that’s it for another dress. I promise to take photos of the other things I’ve been making and get them posted. I have a few waiting in line, both from before pregnancy and in the last few months since I’ve finally gotten the energy to sew for myself.